Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My customers are awesome!

We are celebrating 10 years in business. It was so scary to leave a lucrative 30-year nursing career and open my own store. But I have absolutely no regrets.

I'm often asked what I love best about my store. The uninformed think owning your own business means, number one, that you're rich (HAH!), and number two, that you can do whatever you want. I once saw a sign in a small business that said, "The only thing more overrated than natural childbirth is owning your own business." How true.

Frequenly when I'm interviewed for a newspaper article, the reporter asks what advice I'd give to someone wanting to open a business like mine. My two standard answers are, "Don't expect to get rich," and "be prepared to work harder than you ever have."

But it's my customers that make it so worthwhile. Some have been with me since I opened in 1997. I've gotten to know many of them very well and I count them among my best friends.

This month, I've started a "Customer Spotlight" feature. For January, I chose Jackie Bialorucki, a most delightful woman who almost never shops just for herself. Just yesterday, she was in and bought a gift for a friend.

I love positive people. Jackie never fails to be cheerful and uplifting, but is by no means a "pollyanna." She has more good friends than anyone I know and I'm sure people are attracted to her zestful love of life and her generosity. I don't believe in "luck." Jackie is proof that if you're surrounded by good people and good things happen to you, it's because of who you are and what you do, whether that's done consciously or unconsciously.

Thank you, Jackie, for being you (...and keep on shoppin'!)

Who is the "Jackie" in your life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home