Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Friday, January 26, 2007

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy

Very recently, I posted a comment on Debby Peters' blog about "TAKERS." I complained that when having a one-to-one meeting with a "TAKER," I was always the one asking the questions about the other person and rarely did the other person ask about me in return.

So I decided to change my "modus operandi." Yesterday I met with "Copier Kelly" (Kelly Elton of Goodremont's Copiers). I was determined to make it a two-way conversation. As we began to talk, I deliberately slowed down the pace - a short lull in the conversation provided her the opportunity to actually ask a question of me. And then it happened again . . . and again.

In my eagerness to be a "notable networker," was I too eager in the past to fill every second of time with questions to the other person? Was I setting myself up to be shut out? Did I really afford others the opportunity to pause and reflect on their own agendas?

I think I've found a better way to have a mutually satisfying give-and-take with the person across the table from me. I can't wait until my next appointment!

What's the best lesson you've learned about making a one-to-one meeting most beneficial to both parties?

2 Comments:

  • At Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 9:05:00 AM EST, Blogger Debby said…

    Wow, Sandy, what a great comment and thought. Another way is to actually have a strtegic one-to-one meeting, where you both prepare information in advance of the meeting and send it to each other so you can review before the meeting. At the actual meeting, this paperwork forms an agenda of sorts. The information on the sheets can become talking points.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 1:30:00 PM EST, Blogger copier kelly said…

    I love Debby's comments! I agree with Sandy, I have left a one on one wondering what did the other person learn about me? Okay it is a snow day and I am "catching" up on reading the local blogs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home