Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006









What's in a name?

I recently met an entrepreneur, or should I say a "pandapreneur?"

Several weeks ago at a luncheon meeting of the Women's Entrepreneurial Network, I met Randa (The Pandapreneur) Shallal who recently started her own business, "Sweet Louise Sauces." She produces and sells wonderful toppings for ice cream (I tried them so I know first hand how good they are!). We started talking about how we came about naming our businesses.

I started using the name "Sandy's Stuff" in the early 90's when I tried my hand as an antique dealer (LONG before I ever dreamed I'd someday own a women's consignment store). I then registered that name when I applied for my vendor's license (still not knowing exactly what I wanted to sell). In hindsight, the name worked because I ended up doing several different things under one business name.

I also thought people would remember my name since it's part of my business name. (Was I wrong - hardly a week goes by without someone calling me "Sally!")

So how did Randa come up with Sweet Louise? Well, her fiance's last name (and soon to be hers) is Sweet. So that part makes sense. One day, she and her fiance were agonizing over what to call their new enterprise. Their cat Louise startled them by jumping up on the table. Her fiance yelled, "Sweet Louise!" . . . and the rest is history.

What is the origin of the name of your business? If you weren't able to name it yourself, what would you have named it?

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, December 13, 2006 at 9:43:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was thinking of a name for my organizing business last year, my good friend gave birth to a stillborn baby girl. She told me she was their 'angel'. It was at that moment that the name The Organizing Angel came about. This child had put into perspective what truly is important in life. We need to organize our lives to get the most out of each day. Life was too short for this precious child but through my business I hope to help others clean out the clutter and enjoy the simple things.

     
  • At Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 7:23:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wanted my business name to be "Solutions." The idea being my business provided solutions to people; however, that name was taken. So, I thought of "Organized Solutions." Being more organized is something most people strive for, solutions because there is a solutions to all situations.

    Great post Sandy! Keep on Bloggin'!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home