Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

What I learned from Bonnie...

Bonnie is the store's newest employee and started about six months ago. My husband is actually the one who suggested her. She also works in friends' restaurant, Ansara's Steakhouse, and we'd known her from there for almost two years.

Bonnie is a great waittress, but how would I know if she would do well in a women's clothing store? Let me tell you I had nothing to worry about.

I taught Bonnie most of her duties. But one thing I didn't have to teach her was how to treat customers and how to "help" them buy. Now I don't like to be bothered at all when I shop. Leave me alone and let me find/look for what I want.

So one day early in her employment, one of my semi-regulars (I'll call her Ruby) came in and began browsing through the shirts & blouses. Within minutes, Bonnie approached her and asked if she was looking for anything in particular.

"Yes, " Ruby replied, "I'm looking for camisoles or shells to wear under my suits that I wear to church. Bonnie then started going through the racks and I was concerned that that would bother Ruby.

Not to worry - Ruby came in to buy at the most two items - she left with six!

So the next day with Bonnie not there, I tried the same thing. And had the exact same results! A woman came in to buy one or two items for which I helped her look and she bought six!

Thanks, Bonnie, for teaching this old bird a thing or two about retail.

Have you ever had a newcomer teach you a thing or two about your own business?

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 at 12:25:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I finally made it to your blog, Sandy and like what you are doing with it. Almost everyday, I learn something new from someone I encounter. Isn't all in the attitude? In my job as Career Services Director at Davis College, i have the golden opporetunity to review our student's professional portfolios. Recently, during one of those reviews I corrected a "mistake" with the plural of syllabus. All along I thought the plural was syllabi and so I commented accordingly. The student very kindly told me that for some reason he remembered that syllabuses was acceptable. His mother, the librarian, had told him that it was correct and could be used as the plural form. I was suppose to know bettwer, right? Well, I pulled out my trusty Webster's and together we looked it up. To my surprise both were listed and syllabuses was listed first.

    Having the attitude that we can learn from each other is a grand way to journey through life. I have only found people who think they know it all. I have yet to discover that one person who actually does know it all. I am glad to listen to the wisdom in each person I encounter because my life is enhanced by what they share with me. I always amazes me what i learn!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home