Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Monday, September 25, 2006

Who would you most like to spend a day with?

Mitch Albom, author of bestsellers Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, has a new book out where he explores the question, "Which person who is no longer living, would you most like to spend a day with and what would you do?"

I have thought and thought about this, but can't decide between my dad (who died in 1971) and my mom (who died in 1993).

I was only 24 when I lost my dad. I was busy raising two young sons and building a home with my husband and hadn't fully developed into an independent adult. So I would want to just sit and talk with him about my life - especially bragging to him about his two grandsons and two great-granddaughters.

I was in health care management when my mom died. I traveled extensively, was published frequently, and gave multiple presentations around the country. My mom was my biggest cheerleader. But I'd love for her to know that I now own a resale shop! Although I grew up very frugally, we never shopped thrift or secondhand. What would she think? I believe she'd happy for me.

I also would pick her brain about my family tree. I've forgotten so much of what I knew and would love to hear old family stories about her and my dad's lives growing up.

Who would you like to spend a day with and what would you do?

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 9:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    There are actually two people I'd like to spend some time with, both my grandmothers.

    I am very much like my dad's mom, Hannie Dickinson. She corresponded with people all over the world regularly along with being a farmwife. Her wonderful, white clapboard home full of antiques burned to the ground in January of 1948 just before I was born. She and my grandfather turned a large farm shed into the home they lived in for the rest of their life. She lost her Boston Pug in the fire, but showed her sense of humor by replacing the dog with another that she named, "Fire." She started a self-serve farm stand that was written about in Reader's Digest, because the self serve concept was so revolutionary. I have a picture of her and my grandfather standing outside their home as they were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Her arms show developed muscles from the farm work she did. This of course was before it was cool for women to have muscles. She went on vacation with her women friends to Bermuda and sometimes a cruise. I think she lived her life as she wanted to and didn't let convention get in her way. I would love to sit and hear about what her childhood and early adulthood was like.

    I did not really know my other grandmother, my mom's mom because she died when I was six and we did not live near her. She raised a family of 10 children, and did so with not much money. Her German background meant that she was a great cook. I would like to find out more about her life. How did she raise such a large family and what kept her going. Maybe we'd spend the day together in the kitchen cooking.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 9:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Angie Weid said…

    My Aunt Dottie. She was 33 years old when she died of melanoma cancer. She was beautiful, outgoing, postive, nuturing, confident and fun. I was 16 yrs old when she passed. A day does not go by that I don't think about her. She would be stunned at what I have endured and accomplished in my life--and she would beam with pride. To share a brief moment with her now...only in my dreams.

    PEACE BABY!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home