Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Don't get in a p_ _ _ ing contest with a skunk!

A few months ago, I had a customer who bought a dress for his sister. Not knowing whether or not it would fit her, I gave him one business day to return it for credit.

The deadline for return came and went. The day after the deadline, the customer attempted to return the item. When he wasn't allowed, he became belligerent. I wasn't there that day, but my employee explained the policy from which we don't deviate. (Note that the overwhelming majority of resale shops have no return policy.)

He was told he could call me on a day I was working, but he never did. One morning about two weeks later, I entered another store on my way to work. I was only in the store for a few seconds when a man approached me - he watched me get out of my car which has the store's name on it.

He demanded I tell him why I never returned any of the five (!) calls he made to me. (remember he never called when I was in the store, even though he had been told my schedule.) He was immune to my explanation that a policy is a policy. He said I needed to be flexible, to which I replied I was flexible in that instance - I normally don't allow any returns at all.

I finally just had to walk away from him as I felt he was getting a little too threatening. The last thing I heard him say was, "Don't worry, lady, what goes around comes around."

Situations like this make me have second thoughts about how I operate my business. But hindsight being 20/20, I'm so glad I didn't back down.

Can you think of an example when you stood your ground even after having second thoughts?

1 Comments:

  • At Friday, December 1, 2006 at 8:18:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Edit the title Sandy!

    "Don't get in a pissing contest with a skunk!"

    This is the internet. With all that is out there, the word "pissing" should not offend anyone. If they are offended, tell them to piss off.

    I do not live with regrets, which frees me from guilt but also gets me in trouble since I wear my heart on my sleeve. At the end of the day, I look in the mirror and think about my day. If I did the best I could, it has been a great day. If I did not, I will improve tomorrow.

    As far as dealing with others, there are many unhappy people for many reasons. Your customer was looking for a fight. You stayed true to yourself. I bet you did not lose any sleep over your actions.

    Good Job! (now, edit the post title)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home