Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Thursday, January 11, 2007


Friendly competition can be just that!

I just returned from a 14-hour trip to Chicago and back with one of my best friends, Betty Hill, and her husband Ron. We went to a trade show to buy for our stores. I say "our" stores, because Betty also owns a consignment shop in the area.

Yes, she's a competitor. Yes, she's one of my very best friends. Isn't that neat? We share some customers and occasionally we even share consignors. But we mainly share stories. Boy, do we have stories. We often say we could write a book and maybe we should.

We don't know how unusual it is for local competitors to be so close, but it works so well for us. For one thing, we refer people to each other all the time. She doesn't sell maternity clothes, so she refers all that business my way. If a customer can't find a specific item at my store, I send her to Betty's. (One time, I referred someone to Betty's for a dress to wear in a wedding and the woman ended up buying a dress of mine that I had consigned there! Too funny.)

Do you have any good stories about a friend who does the same thing you do?

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 11:05:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I have some great stories shared between friends! I just spend 3 hours "remembering" stories for a book a friend and I are developing to publish.

    It is in the very early stages, but we are quite serious! Anyone interested in publishing a future Best Seller, let me know.

     
  • At Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 11:02:00 AM EST, Blogger Debby said…

    I am very good friends with Michelle Donovan, the CN trainer in the Pittsburgh area. While she would not be a competitor, because of distance away from each other, we do talk regularly to share markeing ideas and business ideas with each other. The challenge I have is when I don't respect the competitor. Then I'm not so friendly and not so willing to share.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home