Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Monday, December 18, 2006



Do you collect anything?
Alex Trebec of Jeopardy! fame noticed long ago that many of the show's contestants are collectors of various things. Over the last 40 years, I've amassed way too many collections.

My oldest and largest collection was owls - all kinds except for real ones. Wood, glass, paper, stone, clay, paintings, drawings, ashtrays, matchboxes, sculptures, bookends, candleholders - you name it and I had it. At last count, I had almost 400 before I started to sell them.

Then I moved on to angels and cherubs, especially antique cherubs. Then faces. Then reading art. Then nudes. Then antique yellow pitchers. Then antique blue pitchers. Then other related pieces of art...the list goes on.

I've almost stopped collecting anything now and I'm planning to get rid of most of it.

Except my Santas! Oh, how I love my Santas. I haven't even tried to count them. My whole house this Christmas season is Santas - everywhere you look. My pride and joy is my Christmas tree. But I'm afraid if my devious black cat doesn't destroy it, my 18-month old granddaughter will when they're here for the holidays. Oh, well...there's always next year.

What do you collect? How many do you have? What's your favorite?

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 8:19:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I collect sand from my travels and place it in small jars. I started collecting when I went to Hawaii, with green sand. I now have sand/dirt from Hawaii, Michigan, Florida, California, (4) jars from Alaska, (5) jars from Australia, US VI-St. Thomas & St John, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico. I have 25 jars total.

    My top 3 favorites... The Green Sand beach from The Big Island of Hawaii, The Blue Cobblestone beach from St John, and Port Stevens, Australia.

     
  • At Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 6:29:00 AM EST, Blogger Debby said…

    My mom also collected owls and you are the only other person I've known to do so. When my mom died I did sell most of the owls, but I have one piece that I love. It is a rather large crewel piece that she did herself. It is framed in what looks like barnwood. Very rustic. I have it handing in a back hallway, and on Saturdays when I pass it on the way to start the laundry, it makes me smile for a couple reasons. Just seeing it makes me think of my mom so of course the smile. The second smile is the fact that I am one tenth (if that much) the housekeeper my mom was. I smile because I don't care!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home