Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006


"You gotta learn how to box."

Yep, that's what her dad told her.

Several weeks ago, I had coffee and conversation with a "new friend," Leasa Maxx, who with her husband Terry, owns Maxx Grafx, a graphic design business.

She has a sister and although she felt her dad was partial to girls and wanted them to wear pink, frilly things, he had a few rules when his daughters were growing up: he felt that all intelligent, hard-working, independent women had to know how to box, how to give a proper handshake (web to web, firm but not too firm) and how to drive a stick shift while wearing high heels!

Perhaps it's the age difference between me and Leasa, but my parents were just the opposite - my brother got to learn and do all the "guy things" and I didn't. Although they did make me learn how to drive a stick shift, they made me take typing in high school. How sexist! And he got to learn how to light the pilot light on the water heater!

Hindsight being 20/20, I've always been glad that I could drive a stick and that I know my way around a keyboard. And when is the last time that knowing how to light a pilot light on a water heater came in handy?

Did your parents have any rules about what you had to learn when you were young?



2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 9:47:00 PM EST, Blogger Debby said…

    I wonder if learning to drive stick shift has anything to do with stick-to-itiveness? I also learned to drive on my parents '60 Green Ford Falcon. The stick was on the column. We also had a gravel drive and I did quite a bit of stone throwing before I was able to gradually let out the clutch! There have been several times in my 13 years between marriages that I wished I'd known how to light a water heater! My parents only had one rule, "Be home at midnight...or else!"

     
  • At Friday, December 29, 2006 at 5:31:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't recall having to learn specific things growing up. Though I know how to light a water heater, change a tire (did it in heels on I696 once...scary) and drive a stick shift.

    I am teaching my boys the importance of always being polite in good & bad situations, giving a good handshake, holding the door open for a lady, and just doing your best.

    The tire changing lesson will come in time.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home