Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Thursday, May 17, 2007





I was born in the morning . . . but not this morning . . .




I swear customers think I must be pretty stupid about my own business. It happened again today - a woman brought in maternity clothes for me to buy. She had called previously (a good thing one would presume) and was told what we tell everyone - items have to be in style and in excellent condition.



I started going through her huge box of items and was only interested in about 25% of them. I made and she accepted my cash offer - a little reluctantly. Then she asked why couldn't I use the other ones?




Truthfully, they were old - not just a year or two, but more like 4 to 8 years old. And in the maternity fashion world, that's a long time. There were labels and brands that haven't been sold in years. Not withstanding the fact that there were rips and stains and animal hair. UGH!




But the politically-correct answer I gave her was, "Well, they're just not styles that my customers are looking for right now."



"Well, that's crazy, " she said rather sarcastically. "These are only about a year old." Now, does she actually think I believe that?



The same thing actually happens fairly often with my regular (non-maternity) consignors. They'll tell me their clothes were purchased within the "last year or two." Then I find brands like Passport from Pier One (who stopped selling clothes oh, about 10 years ago) or Gantos (who went out of business oh, about 6 or 7 years ago).



What in the world makes people think I believe their stories? Do I really look that stupid?




What stories do you have about customers that made you think they thought you were dumb as dirt?









1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 8:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Terry Willliams said…

    Several years back I went on a service call and I advised the customer they should give consideration to replacing the furnace due to its age and condition.

    I also gave them the price for repair, they opted to make the repair. We always tell the customer if they should decided to replace the furnace within 30 days that we will refund the money on the repair towards the furnace.

    Imagine my delight when they called about a week later. They said they wanted to get their money back and I asked them when we could schedule the furnace installation and they told me they had it done by someone that had given them a lower bid.

    NO I didn't give then their money back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home