Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day. . .

Certainly, this post was inspired greatly by my previous post of today.

But it is also is inspired by my experiences as a mother.

Several weeks ago, I posted about wanting to be remembered as a great mother. My life is my family. My family is my life. I love my two sons more than anyone could ever imagine. They're both healthy, happy, educated, have great jobs and are happily married. I argue with both of them. I disagree with both of them frequently on gun control, politics, TV shows and discipline practices. They both treat their wives with respect and they treat their parents with respect. They're not afraid to hug, kiss, and tell their momma they love her. What more could I ask for?

When my husband of forty + years and I first talked about marriage, we wanted six kids (!!!). (Of course, at that time, I also thought I would be a stay-at-home mom forever.) We even picked out names - 3 boys' and 3 girls'.
Then I baby-sat one summer for his young niece and nephew and decided only four kids would be just fine.

Then I had one. Until you have a baby, you just don't realize the work and the
responsibility. . . and the time . . . and the money.

After a couple of years, we decided we'd have another one - this time it would be a girl. Son #2 was a dilly - took me a year to get pregnant, morning sickness for 4 months, hottest summer on record, he weighed 10 pounds (delivered the regular way),
needed surgery twice before he was a year old, temper tantrums until he was at least four . . . but we let him live anyway.

But THERE WAS NOT GOING TO BE ANY MORE.

Like many young couples, we struggled, especially financially. But with the help of both sets of parents, we made it. We were able to put both boys through school without financial aid (we tried, but couldn't get it - thanks to politics 1980s style.).

Hubby and I agreed on the important things - they were never forced to eat (or even try) any foods they didn't like; we never spanked them (well, almost never - there was one incident that we both remember with regret); when they were adults, we forced them to be responsible for themselves - our form of 'tough love.' (I will admit many of the teenage years were very, very tough.)

It was the right choice for us. We had our kids very young - I was 20 and 23 when they were born. By the time we hit our early 40s, they were both adults and we've had the past 20 years to enjoy by ourselves while enjoying our relationship with them and their families. They're not just our family, they're our friends.

I know that everyone hasn't made these choices or been so fortunate. One of my best friends, for example, has been married about 30 years and she and her husband decided from the beginning that they did not want children. As far as I know, they have no regrets. They are incredibly happy and live a full, rich life.

We have other good friends, also married a long time, who were unable to have children but who opted not to adopt. They also have an exciting, fun-filled life.

And of course, we know people who have children whose lives have been troubled with tragedy and unhappiness.

But today, I want to celebrate the happy stories - I have so many good friends who love being a mom and who would be lost without their kids.

So to the moms of the world - I SALUTE YOU AND SAY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! WE DONE GOOD!