Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007




. . . and the bad book . . .



Brag! The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It.

Well, it's not really a bad book. I just didn't like it. It reminded me of the author of The Scarsdale Diet. He had one simple idea but was convinced by a publisher to add a bunch of stuff to it and make it long enough to be published as a book.

I understand and firmly believe in the book's focus - that one needs to boast about one's accomplishments. I also agree with the author that to be done appropriately, how it is done depends on the setting and audience. But I think she is way too "over the top." Every single point is illustrated with an example, supposedly from the author's experience. I just didn't buy it.

But I bought the book (rather than borrowed) so I read it to the end (I hate wasting money that's already been spent). And one of the last chapters is the worst. It has a section entitled "Schmooze!" What does she mean by this? She means "networking!!"

From the book:
Good schmoozers . . . seem (emphasis mine) genuinely interested in what others have to say. And then, when the timing is right, they take the opportunity to seamlessly plant positive seeds about themselves - their background, accomplishments, interests, passions, and projects they are working on - in a meaningful and measured way."

Give me a break - this is not what I believe "Givers gain" means at all. Seem interested in others so you can jump in with what's great about you? I don't think so.

Now that I've dissed the book, I'm sure no one wants to buy it from me. But I'm genuinely interested in giving you a good deal on it.

I know some of you who may read this have read the book. What do you think?

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 9:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    I have read the book and actually have recommended it. But it was a long time ago. So I guess I need to pull it out and re-read. I do remember a questionnaire near the beginning that helps people to begin getting in touch with the things that they should be willing to brag about.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home