Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, May 05, 2007



What's in a name? (a band's name, I mean)


Several times in the past few months, I've mentioned one of my favorite bands, Canada's Bare Naked Ladies. It's four guys whose songs I love and whose personality and sense of humor are quite off-beat - I mean really - a song about getting postcards from monkeys?


On a talk show several years ago, they were asked by the interviewer about the origin of the band's name (a question I'm sure they get quite often). The band's leader answered, "One thing that most Americans probably don't know is that when Canadians are born, they're automatically given band names." Funny, huh?


Band names are getting weirder and weirder - but some in the late 1980’s/early 90's really were bizarre - my musician son Paul was a big fan of groups like The Dead Kennedys (honest, that was their name) and The Dead Milkmen. But the funniest name involves my buying concert tickets for him and his friends.



The concert was in Cleveland and I was living in Cleveland at the time. He asked me to get him four tickets for this particular show. I lived about a block from a big department store, The May Company, and they had a TicketMaster outlet.



Entertainment tickets were sold in the same area as layaway, charge account payments and gift wrapping and the day I went there was only one person working all of the areas so there was a long line. Before long, another employee came to help and shouted out, “Who is in line just to buy concert tickets?”



I said that I was and he asked for what concert. There I am in my early 40’s, dressed in a conservative business suit, in a long line of strangers, announcing . . . “I need four concert tickets for “The Butt Hole Surfers.”



So my question to you is . . . What’s the weirdest band name you’ve ever heard?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home