Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, May 13, 2007



Stereotyping be damned!


I am promising myself to stop stereotyping - it's so easy to do, but oh, so wrong.


I recently had a one-to-one with an accountant (hereafter referred to as 'The A'). Fairly early in the conversation, The A said, "I'm creative."


Who, me surprised? So I asked what exactly she/he meant.


The A said, "I love to write. Some years ago, I wrote about myself - explaining what I was all about."


I was fascinated and told The A I would love to see what was written. Several days later after sending an e-mail reminder, I received his/her opus.


I won't include all of it here, especially those things that might identify The A, but s,here's some of the most interesting and self-revealing bits . . .



( NOTE from Sandy: I have had one-to-ones with no less than 4 accountants in the past few months, so don't even try to guess who this is.)


The One and Only

Who Am I? I am many things: I am strong, yet weak; kind, yet cruel; happy, yet sad.


I am smart, yet ignorant; intense, yet relaxed; friendly, yet shy.

I like long walks and short answers.


I like big thoughts and small words. I like hard truths and soft hearts. I believe in Faith, Hope and Love. I believe the glass is half full. I like talking to kids more than I do adults because they are more interesting.


I respond better when asked than when told. I am patient with others when they make mistakes, because I have made them all. I am still too hard on myself. I still dream.


I like small towns better than big cities. I like light rock better than heavy metal. I like a genuine tear better than a fake laugh.


I believe that the family is the cornerstone to all society, and that you should care for those who grow old, as they cared for you when you were young. I believe the most important thing you can do to make the world a better place is to love and discipline your children. I believe that education is the key to getting a good job and a healthy economy. I try to give to those who cannot give back to me.


I try to pick people up when they are down. I try to knock them down a notch when they are too proud. I don’t smoke, I don’t get drunk, and I don’t swear. I am honest because my father is; loyal because my true friends are; naïve because I believe others always tell me the truth.


I believe that children aren’t happy with what they have because they don’t know what it is to want. I believe that adults aren’t happy because they want what they don’t have. I believe that the elderly are happy when all they have is their families.


I fear being old more than growing old. I fear dying more than death. I fear what might come after death if I am too afraid to live my life. I believe that the right hand should not know what the left hand is doing.


I believe that the best things in life are free. I like my job. I like my parents. I like living in the United States, with or without the politicians.


I used to think love was easy and then I failed at it. I used to think I could be a pro athlete and then reality struck.


I used to think Bugs Bunny was funny and I still do. I never count calories. I never budget my expenses. I never forget where I came from. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth: Use it or lose it.


Billy Joel is my favorite musician because he is a musician.


Sometimes life knocks you down, and you will get up, because after a while, you realize you have no other choice. I would rather spend money on someone else rather than on myself, especially if they don’t ask. I would rather eat at McDonalds than a fancy restaurant and give the extra money to charity.


I would rather have true happiness than all the money in the world. I believe a broken heart can mend. I believe when you find true love, you will know it. I believe that when you are in love, nothing else matters. I believe the good old days weren’t always good and tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems.


I believe that grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I believe that home is where the heart is. I write better than I speak. I listen better than I hear. I sing better than I dance.


I like the days sunny and 75. I like the nights cool with stars in the sky. I like the breeze in my face. I run because I’m good at it and it makes me feel good. I read because it exercises my brain. I work because it makes me feel productive and gives me discipline. I am a product of my past. I am a product of my parents. I am a product of generations of ancestors who never knew me, but who have passed their name on to me, and I must do them honor.


I can be shy around a group of strange people. I can be unsympathetic to others’ problems. I can do anything I put my mind to. I admire policemen and veterans, for doing what I never could. I admire teachers whose biggest thrill is to see a child learn. I admire parents who have the most important and complicated job of all.


I will not ask someone to do something that I am not willing to do myself. I will not sleep in just because it is the weekend. I will not be a yes person at the expense of my conscience. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I give to those more needy than I. I give a damn.


I do not like when people always talk about doing things but never do them. I do not like when people always complain, but never do anything to fix the problem. I do not like when people can’t take responsibility for their actions and blame their problems on somebody else.


I wish everyone could just get along. I wish everyday was Christmas. I wish people would tell others how much they appreciate them. I’ve been lucky. I’ve been smart. I’ve been blessed. I think that men can live in peace with one another. I think that violence doesn’t solve anything. I think that love conquers all. I have been so high, celebrating great victories. I have been so low, suffering in lonely despair. I have been touched with deepest emotions of hope, fear, surprise, anger, joy, sorrow and love, and it is of these strands which the fabric of life is woven. . I remember some days when I felt indestructible. I remember some days I’d rather forget.


I remember the wonder of youth. I know that life can be unfair. I hope people laugh and sing at my funeral. I know that life must be lived to the fullest. I know that life is good. Who am I? I am an original.

This was written as one big paragraph, so the editing into smaller ones was all mine. I highlighted in black the things that really stood out to me. If The A reads this, please forgive me for the editing.


My knowledge of who the The A really is, though I admit it was limited to begin with, has been fertilized and has grown immensely. The A's writing has made me feel more creative myself; it has made me want to write about the same things only inserting "me" into the equation.


This is creative writing with meaning. This is fascinating. I can't thank The A enough for sharing this with me and blowing my stereotype of accountants - I think I'm on my way to changing my preconceived notions about lots of things and lots of people.


Thanks, A, for being and for sharing with me.

When has getting to know someone else totally blown away a previously held belief?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home