Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Monday, May 28, 2007




Warning to guys: I know I have several male friends who read my blog. You won't want to read this post. It's so woman-oriented, your voice will change if you read it. You've been warned.




Have you heard about the new 'pill?'



For those of you living in a cave, you may not have heard about the new birth control pill. It's taken every day and the majority of users don't have any menstrual periods!! Alleluia - there is a God!



I swear it was created by women. What incentive would men have? (Oh, yeah, that incentive.)



I'm blogging about this today because of an editorial in our local paper, The (Toledo) Blade. The editor claims "An ethical and moral debate is warranted." (Yes, a letter to the editor is being formed in my head at this moment.)



Granted a medical debate may be warranted as this drug, although it's undergone rigorous FDA testing, is too new to know its adverse long-term effects). I am concerned about that, but not because I'm a nurse, but because I'm a woman.



But an ethical and moral debate because it eliminates menstrual periods???? The article quotes one researcher as questioning "medicating away 'a normal life event.' " Give me a break! Is there any doubt about the gender of that researcher?











Headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea - are among many other "normal life events." Isn't it great that we can (often) medicate them away? How about male impotence? Can you imagine a drug researcher hesitant to medicate that 'normal life event' away?



Women who still have menstrual periods long for the day when they're gone - especially after they've finished having children.



Do I miss the cramps, bloating, inconveniece, unpreparedness, worry, etc.?




I know menstrual periods are viewed differently in different cultures, but that's not what I'm addressing here.




While reading this to my husband (who couldn't agree with me more), he asked, "Isn't The Blade pro-women's rights? Isn't this another woman's right?" That's why I love the guy so much.



On second thought, maybe guys should read this - I'd love to hear their views, too.

4 Comments:

  • At Friday, June 1, 2007 at 7:29:00 AM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    A high point in my life was my hysterectomy in 1990. Not having periods for the last 17 years has made life oh so enjoyable. I totally agree with you. The Blade is an idiot paper.

     
  • At Saturday, June 2, 2007 at 4:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Louise Kahle said…

    I went through a natural menopause several years ago and I certainly don't miss 'the curse'. Horrible cramps from the beginning (my mother told me it was all in my head) and only managed to be pain free in the years I took birth control. After that, I became a big fan of Motrin for the first 3 days each month.
    However, I can't say I agree that stopping your period just because it is inconvenient is a very good idea. Seems to me that there might be some complications down the road. Remember when they told us that HRT was a cure-all for hot flashes, heart attachs, breast cancer....
    Oops, maybe not so much.

     
  • At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 7:59:00 AM EDT, Blogger Angie Weid said…

    The day after my hysterectomy was glorious!! Any woman out there experiencing hot flashes, memory loss, pain, memory loss, severe bleeding, memory loss and the feeling something is not right should not hesitate.

    As far as stopping periods, many of my friends (myself included) had skipped our periods by changing the way we took our birth control.

    The Blade is an idiot paper!!

     
  • At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 10:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger karen kimec said…

    I couldn't believe the ads I've seen suggesting women should take this pill to stop the "incovenience" of periods! It's a natural, healthy, normal process that allows us to have children; it means we're women; it's a coming of age symbol for girls. As women, we've taken on society's stuff about it being embarrassing, inconvenient, shameful, etc. In addition to all this, who knows what the long term consequences will be? Maybe part of the reason for all the diseases in our lives is trying to medicate away any inconvenience or anything we can't control.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home