Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

What was she thinking?


Yesterday she came in dressed in raggedy jeans and a bar t-shirt. Which was better than last time a few weeks ago when she came in wearing flip-flops and what looked like pajamas.

I’m not talking about a customer or consignor (and frankly, I don’t care how they dress when they come in). I’m not even talking about the same woman. I’m talking about women who have come in to apply for a job!!!!

And it’s not an age thing - the first time she was probably in her 20’s and yesterday she was probably in her 40’s.

I don’t get it. You come into a business establishment that you’ve never been in before (I knew they hadn't) and that you know nothing about and you look like either

1) you just got out of bed or

2) you’re on your way to the closest biker bar or

3) both of the above.

She asked if I’m hiring and/or if I have an application she can fill out. (For those of you who may find this blog by accident, I sell women’s clothing and accessories, new and resale.)

What I did each time: Smile and nicely say, “No, sorry I’m not.”

What I wanted to do each time: Smile and nicely say, “No, but even if I was, I would be interested in someone who knew enough to dress nicely to even come in and ask.” or

“Didn’t your mother teach you any better?” or

“You don’t know anything about this store. You need to learn about a place before applying for a job and you certainly need to dress better.”

W hat I’m going to do next time: Smile and nicely say, “No, I’m not right now. But if you have a job interview in the future, I’d love to help you find some great yet inexpensive interview clothes. You only get one chance to make a good first impression and we can help you do that.”

Do you have any "inappropriately dressed" stories?

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home