Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hindsight is always 20/20, or is it?

I need to get this out of my system - I believe in positive attitude, that your thoughts control your mood, and that negative attracts negative. But I want to share this and ask for your opinion. And then I'm going to 'let it go.'

Today I went to a community event with a friend. She seemed to know just about every other person we ran into. She gracefully introduced me to those whose name she could remember. As we joined three friends of hers at a table, she introduced me by name and then told them that I owned Sandy's Stuff.

The man at the table couldn't have cared less. I knew one of the women who used to (very rarely) come in to the store. The other woman (64-year-old professional woman) said, "What's that?"

I told her it's a woman's consignment store.

Then, and you've got to believe me here, she immediately turned up
her nose and said (quite loudly), "A big g -- d--- garage sale!"



I was speechless. I'm sure my jaw dropped open. I said nothing. I couldn't think quick enough. My friend simply said something like, "Well, Sandy has nice things in her store." And their conversation proceeded on to another topic.

I still said nothing. After another minute (at the most), I got up and walked away. When my friend caught up with me several minutes later, I asked her how she knew the woman. She responded that she was one of her best friends.

But the things I later thought of to say:

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"Do you know you said that out loud?"

"How rude!"

But I said nothing. My friend Debby is probably proud of me thinking that I took the higher ground - that I didn't stoop to her level (from which I would have had better leverage to kick her in the a--) - but I actually said nothing because I was so shocked, that no words came to me.

What would you have done? What would you have said? Would you think a little differently about the friend who introduced you?

8 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 7:54:00 PM EDT, Blogger Terry Willliams said…

    Sandy, Sandy, Sandy, you know that I have lots of little things to say..... But you know since, I've been networking and through CN I've learned to keep them in check.

    I would have said nothing. Be proud that you didn't lash out at her even though she deserved it. How could you not take that kind of comment personally?

    I would have, it would have made me ticked.

    Now if you asking me to comment on what I "could" have said. Thats different.

    Yes it is a big GD garage sale, but its by invitation only.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 9:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    When you get into a pissing contest, you never win. You DID GOOD to keep your mouth shut.

    I probably would have been speechless at this rude display also. In hindsight I would have wanted to say back to her, "And please tell me what important things you do." I would have said it very nicely so that she had to wonder later if you were being rude. But of course, people who are so rude are either drinking and don't remember or are so full of sh_t that they don't care.

    Let it go and think about the other wonderful people in your life who really care about you and your contributions.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 9:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger Angie Weid said…

    I would have used a Rosemarism: "The Monroe High School Smile," you smile but inside you are saying #%*@ you.
    Maintain the smile until they turn & walk away.

    Sandy, you did good! Words of retaliation only lead to a war. Yeah, you have every right to steam, but she looked like an idiot to those at the table. You came across to the table as a secure, confident woman.

    Smile and know she is not a happy person.

     
  • At Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 7:02:00 AM EDT, Blogger Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said…

    Thanks to my friends - it's nice to know I have people I can count on.

     
  • At Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 6:42:00 AM EDT, Blogger evalerie said…

    Hi Sandy,

    Being me, I would have felt sorry for her since she has "psychological issues" that she has not resolved and her life must be painful. I wonder if she felt any remorse for being rude or if that is her standard mode of operation.

    You should be glad that she has never come into your magical store...she would have brought a lot of negativity.

    Have a great day and there is always someone who rains on one's parade but as my mother used to say - "consider the source."

    {**Hugs**}
    Valerie

     
  • At Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 10:21:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so speechless, I can't type.
    You are head and shoulders above that kind of trash ... talk.

     
  • At Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 12:00:00 AM EDT, Blogger Cheryl Engfer said…

    I'm sitting here with my jaw dropped open! I'm proud of you for holding your head up high and walking away. Its hard to say what one would do if you've never been in that situation. Unfortunately it has happened to me..recently and you do the only thing you can and that's hold your head up high and remove yourself from the situation. Her loss!

    I am proud to say a number of the items I wear each week comes from Sandy's Stuff!! that's because I was actually invited LOL

     
  • At Monday, August 6, 2007 at 5:32:00 PM EDT, Blogger Janet said…

    Hi Ladies!

    Just checking out Loiuse's site and found the blog, so I thought I would try it.

    Sandy, you are class all the way, girl! What you did was the best thing, really. If we allow ourselves to get pulled in every time someone is rude to us, we will be bickering all day long! LOL I'm willing to bet this is a lifelong habit for her, and she doesn't even realize how she behaves. I tell myself that these people are to be pitied because their life must be so miserable...... Now, if you were a close friend you could take an opportunity to discuss this with her at a later time (which her friend DEFINITELY shoud do, as a service to her and to others!) but for a quick 'hit and run' meeting there's no sense in wasting valuable time to risk looking bad yourself.

    Here's a rule of thumb: never argue with a fool, because from a distance people can't tell the difference! LOL

    Keep your chin up, and remember that some people are just terminally ignorant.......and don't care!

    Janet M (client of Louise)

    P.S. Louise has highly recommended your 'garage sale' (smile) so I'll be stopping in one day soon to check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home