Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, June 17, 2007


I just don't get the motion picture rating system.


We saw a movie, "Mr. Brooks," over the weekend. Most of the critics didn't like it, calling it "silly" and "preposterous." But it had sufficient scariness and enough plot twists to keep us interested. I especially liked it because one of my favorites, William Hurt, was in it. Just don't see enough of him anymore.


The movie was rated "R" for very good reasons - lots of profanity, tons of explicit, gratuitous violence, explicit sex and nudity - but I'm an adult and I can handle it.


My problem? It wasn't with the movie, it was with the theater. Sitting in the row immediately in front of us was a family - mom, dad, and two little girls - one approximately 9 years old and one approximately 3 years old!!!!! And their son who was maybe 14 or 15 sat in another row, but immediately after the film finished, he walked up to them and excitedly (of course) said, "Wow - that was the greatest movie I've ever seen. I want to get it as soon as it's out on DVD and I'm gonna watch it every day!"


What is wrong with these parents? What is wrong with the rating system that allows parents to subject young children to these adult themes and images?


My husband and I deliberately tried to block out our disgust so we could enjoy the film, but it wasn't easy. I couldn't help but watch the parents during certain scenes to see if they were uncomfortable - but nothing - just eating their popcorn and watching the screen.


What's your take on this? Is it child abuse? Is it child endangering? Is it bad parenting?


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home