Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

I don't sleep . . .


well at all. Unassisted by drugs (legal, of course), I sleep two nights a week if I'm lucky (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while). It's been going on for over a year but I've just started talking about it to others - I believe that complaining about an issue gives it energy and may make it worse. But I thought maybe someone had a cure for me.

I've tried relaxation techniques, deep breathing, Tylenol PM, warm milk, melatonin (recommended by a local drugstore's pharmacist) - all ineffective. A local health food store recommended an herbal concoction called Valerian. It worked six out of the seven nights I took it and I was thrilled.

Then I saw an ad in the paper seeking subjects to test an experimental sleeping aid drug. It's a seven-week study and I thought at last, I'd probably be able to sleep for weeks. The first visit to the research physician's office was very thorough - a complete physical, EKG, blook work, etc. I received the first round of test drug on the 2nd visit and was told it was either a placebo or a very low dose of the real thing.

Every night I recorded when I took the drug and when I went to bed. Every morning I called in to an automated phone line and punched in the previous night's sleep experience. I slept well two of the seven nights (my usual pattern lately).

I was so disappointed (and surprised) to find out on my third visit that I "responded too well" to the drug and was ejected from the study. I don't get it, but I assume they know what they're doing. I took a lot of research courses in college so I know how exactingly subjects must be chosen.

So I went back to the health food store to get more Valerian - the formula I took before won't be available for maybe a month. I bought another formula and it hasn't worked the past 3 nights.

Damn. Any advice from anyone out there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home