Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The truth about tanning


When I was in Florida two weeks ago, I was embarrassed by my white legs. I usually use a self-tanner (since my legs no longer tan naturally) but hadn't yet taken the time to do it this spring. My friend Debby said I just needed to think about the issue differently. She suggested I tell myself that "white legs are pretty and they're healthy." I tried it and it worked! At least I wasn't embarrassed anymore. (But I have been using a self-tanning moisturizer since - I recommend the Jergens brand.)


This is a copy of an article in the most recent issue of a friend's e-newsletter. Louise Kahle is a professional image consultant and publishes a monthly newsletter that she sends out via e-mail. I have her permission to share it with you.


This is a thoroughly researched and well-written article that I hope everyone will read and seriously consider. Thanks, Louise.



IT'S OFFICIAL: TANNING IS OVER

The Skin Cancer Foundation, www.skincancer.org, recently polled several beauty editors for their take on this dangerous (and finally fading) fad, and, according to Lois Johnson of More magazine, "Tanning as a life priority is over."


Instead, beauty editors like Johnson are urging women to "go with your own glow" by celebrating their natural skin tones and avoiding tanning.

Some people still think it is fairly safe to use tanning beds. Unfortunately, ultraviolet radiation, which causes skin to tan and burn, is a proven human carcinogen, and high pressure sunlamps used at tanning salons can emit doses of UVR up to 12 times that of the sun.


People who use tanning beds before age 35 increase their risk for melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, by 75 percent. Tanning bed users are also 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma. Both of these skin cancers can be disfiguring and, in rare cases, fatal if untreated.


The tanning industry is launching a campaign to try to convince people that it is safe. Show them that you know better and stay away!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home