Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Sunday, March 09, 2008




Movies in our home theater: Moral dilemmas at their best

Okay, some of you have been to my home and know I don't have a home theater. Hey, if I'm watching a movie in my living room, it's a theater. And if it's my home, it's a home theater.

Dick and I love movies. And we've earned the privilege of purchasing theater tickets at the "Senior" discount rate. Occasionally, we don't want to wait until a movie comes out on DVD, but most often we do.

He usuallly chooses them, mainly because I have a lousy track record - I can't tell you how many DVDs I've picked out that as soon as I bring them home, he says, "We've seen that before." Sometimes he has to watch the first few minutes of the movie to discover we've seen it before, but it's happened many times.

But his lousy track record is for the number of bad movies he's chosen - usually if there's no one in it we've ever heard of, it's a clue it might be bad. But sometimes he forgets that the description on the cover of the DVD is designed to make it sound good even if it's a bomb. "There's no stars in this one, but it looks really good." Yeah, right.

My point today is how I've noticed the running theme of many movies we've recently watched - the dilemma of moral consciousness.
Have you seen "Gone Baby Gone" with Casey Affleck, Ben's younger brother? It is excellent - but everyone I've talked to about it has said the same thing - "I loved it except for the ending." I won't ruin the ending for anyone, but it's about a very difficult decision someone has to make and whether or not he/she follows his/her moral code. And of course, we all have different beliefs and moral codes.
Another great one is "We Own the Night" with Joaquin Phoenix (one of my favorite hotties). It's the story of two brothers - one good and one bad - or is it?
And most recently, we watched "Michael Clayton." An awesome story about several people who are faced with a moral dilemma - who makes the right decision? Who makes the wrong one? It makes you wonder how some people can sleep at night.

So when I'm asked what my favorite type of movie is, my new answer is that it's a story where the main plot includes a moral dilemma, because it's fascinating to see the decisions people make.

So what is your favorite type of movie and why?

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 4:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    God, I feel so lowbrow. I just want to be entertained, without someone being blown up, murdered or bludgeoned. Although in the recent months I really enjoyed August Rush and if I think about it, the story was about good and evil and which triumphs. Of course, there were several types of evil portrayed. Good movie, though.

     
  • At Monday, March 17, 2008 at 3:25:00 PM EDT, Blogger Cheryl Engfer said…

    I concur, August Rush is very good.

    Sandy,
    I was going to tell you about the awesome movie Mark and I watched Saturday nite---but then you listed it "We own the nite". I love Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin, gorgeous fellas right there.

    I don't know if I have an absolute favorite, I love the stupid humor ones because I love to laugh, but then I really like the true stories too. I can tell you what I don't like---the shoot'em up war movies, Steven Sagal and the Rambo's--pretty much Mark and I have the opposites in taste. He watches his, Lola and I will watch the "chick flick" as the boys like to call it. Then we're all happy!

    Seldom do I ever watch a movie in the theatre room--that is always occupied by Austin and his friends. I fall esleep during movies and I wouldn't want them playing the tricks on me when I'm sleeping as they do each other! LOL

     
  • At Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 10:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Tracee Swank, Coach said…

    My husband and I LOVE movies. We watch them all the time together. Actually, he gets to relaz watching the movie and I use the time to read, sort through magazines, papers, etc. I have to multi-task when I watch a movie. That's why we don't go to the theater that often!

    We subscirbe to Netflix so we get movies every week. It's nice because we can watch oldies and new releases. It's quite the deal for us!

     
  • At Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 5:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger Terry Willliams said…

    Action films, thrillers and of course comedies.

     
  • At Friday, March 21, 2008 at 4:20:00 PM EDT, Blogger Cheryl Engfer said…

    We subscibe to Blockbuster. They send in the mail like Netflix, only you can return them at the store and get two freebies! Plus each month we get an email coupon that can be redeemed for a game or movie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home