Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I refuse to participate in a recession.

I recently returned from the annual National BNI conference in Orlando, FL. My primary goal was to suck information from other people's brains to help me be a better Assistant Director. (For those of you unfamiliar with BNI, please visit bni-ohio.com or bni.com.)
At registration, everyone was given a badge that said "I refuse to participate in a recession." Our opening address was by BNI Founder and Chairman, Dr. Ivan Misner, a charismatic and powerful speaker. He talked at length about the impact that one's attitude about one's business and the recession has on that individual and encouraged all to avoid that thinking at all costs.

It really gave me a lot to think about. Everyone always thinks that my business is recession-proof - that because I deal in resale that my business should be great. But buying clothing, new or not, isn't usually a necessity. People aren't running around naked. And between buying gasoline, food and other necessities, clothing and accessories are way down on the list of priorities.

So that makes me have to work harder to sell the same amount as I did before. It means I have to work harder and smarter. It's not always easy to figure out how to do that. I still have all my expenses and, of course, I have to buy gas and food, too.

But I now understand that sitting back and whining and blaming everything on the recession is a cop-out and I'm not going to do it anymore. I refuse to participate in a recession.

How about you?

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, June 8, 2008 at 8:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    What recession? Yeah, gas does cost a lot more, but it's making me a better sales person. I spent time booking two or three appts, when I am going to go to the other end of town or the next town over. In the end, it will probably make my business more successful, because I am focused on seeing more people without being focus on seeing more people. Get it?!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home