Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Monday, August 18, 2008

I can now share my secret: I'm retiring!


After owning his own business for 20 years, my husband retired at the end of last year. Within a short time, I realized I was jealous of his freedom. So after much thought, I decided in February to retire at the end of this year.

I chose to tell no one else until just a few weeks ago. I know how people are and many of my customers and consignors wouldn't remember when, and would just quit coming into the store.

I first told our sons and my employee, my sister-in-law, then my closest friends. I next told many of my business networking contacts. Then I put up signs in the store.

The reactions of others have been very interesting. I'm surprised and flattered when some have asked, "Why?" That makes me think they don't think I'm old enough to collect Social Security (I will be in a few weeks).
And many have asked what will I do? My most frequent answer? "Sleep in every day and lay around eating Bon Bons."

I mostly want people to be happy for me. I've worked hard my entire adult life (30 years as a nurse and 11 years in retail). I deserve to retire and enjoy life.

More on this subject later.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home