Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Monday, November 26, 2007

When "big" people are real people

You may know that I love reading true crime books. I've read some that were very badly written, so I try to be careful when buying one. While out of town recently, I found myself at a mall eating lunch without a book to read, so I hit the nearest book store. (I don't mind eating alone as long as I have something to read - how about you?)

While perusing the True Crime section, I discovered I had read all the books by my favorite true crime authors (Ann Rule, Jerry Bledsoe and Jack Olsen). But a book by Kathryn Casey, whom I'd never heard of, had an endorsement review on the cover by Ann Rule. I figured if it was good enough for Ann Rule, it was good enough for me.

I loved it - both the story and how well it was written. So when I finished it a few days ago, I "googled" the author to see what else she had written. I found her website. I signed up for her newsletter (how she keeps her fans updated on her writings) and then, upon seeing a"Contact Kathryn Casey" link, I thought I'd give it a try.

I e-mailed her, telling her how much I enjoyed the book, that I'd be reading her others and that she had a new fan in Toledo, OH.

Imagine my surprise when within a few hours, she e-mailed me back. She thanked me for taking the time to write her (!), that she was very happy I liked her book, and said a few kind things about Ohio (!) that she'd visited in the past.

I am impressed. This (possibly best-selling) author took the time to write back to a fan who'd done nothing more than read her book. I guess sometimes I forget that authors are people, too. But I can't help but think that I would have never heard from John Grisham or Dominick Dunne.

Have you ever been surprised by the actions of a well-known person who turned out to be real?

3 Comments:

  • At Monday, November 26, 2007 at 10:15:00 PM EST, Blogger Debby said…

    Yes and No! I would love it if someone wrote and said they liked what I wrote. I would want to encourage the relationship. But I guess if I ever "arrive" maybe it won't be so exciting to hear from a fan. I hope I never arrive!

     
  • At Monday, November 26, 2007 at 11:36:00 PM EST, Blogger Techietami said…

    Those who know me know I'm a NASCAR fan. I have had the pleasure of meeting two drivers in person and I was pleasantly surprised at how real they both were. The one I met about 2 hours before a race. I was totally amazed that he would take that kind of time to talk to our small group before a big performance. The other I met when he was at a race his son was in. Very down to earth, went out of his way to autograph not just one but three items for us. It seems that your author and these drivers have realized the importance of their fans!

     
  • At Saturday, December 1, 2007 at 3:25:00 PM EST, Blogger Louise Kahle said…

    In the 1970s, after reading one of Stephen King's first books, I wrote to him and told him how much I enjoyed his writing. We both grew up in the same area of Maine, where most of his stories take place. He wrote back to me on a postcard, saying it was nice to hear from a fellow Mainer.
    It's probably worth a lot of money!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home