Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, November 03, 2007


We're all in this together.

Yesterday I visited a resale shop that opened a year ago, but just two weeks earlier had been sold to two women who were friends. (I've heard a zillion times that this type of partnership is seldom a good idea, but that's none of my business).
Having been in the resale business for ten years, I wanted to welcome them to "my world" so I stopped in to introduce myself and of course to shop. They were so open and friendly and I felt quite flattered when they started to "pick my brain."
Like a lot of newcomers in the business, their biggest problem related to pricing. "For example," one said, "look at this Canvasbacks coat."

Now I happen to love this brand - it's good quality and their items always have a unique, characteristic style.
One of the women wanted to price it at $40 and the other wanted to price it at $60 (they had been told by the original owner that it was $400 or $500 new). They compromised at $50. They asked me what I thought and I told them that if it were in my store, I'd price it at $100, with the adage, 'You can always come down' if it doesn't sell.

I could tell they were giving my comment some thought. They removed the price tag and shortly thereafter, someone came in and asked how much it was. "$100" was the reply. She didn't buy it but she also didn't flinch.
Imagine my delight when they called me today to tell me the coat had just sold for $80. They were so excited and loved my advice. Gosh, it feels good to help a newbie.
I will never forget a woman who owned a resale shop about 40 minutes away. She came to my store after I first opened and instead of feeling threatened by a potential competitor, she welcomed me to the fold and was so incredibly helpful.

When is the last time you were able to help out someone new in your business?

2 Comments:

  • At Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:15:00 PM EST, Blogger Louise Kahle said…

    Sandy, I happened to call that shop yesterday to tell them again that they really needed to get in touch with you.
    Thank you so much for beating them to the punch! You are one classy lady!

     
  • At Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:44:00 PM EST, Blogger Evonne Johnson said…

    Sandy,You truly enlightened Cheri and I the day you stopped by our new shop. We certainly are raw and learning new things everyday. We are doing better than we had expected...and have sold 3 of our many wedding dresses. Thank you so much for your support. I agree with Louise you are one classy lady.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home