Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Walk a mile in her shoes.


A brand new consignor came into the store last week and she humbled me. First of all, she was late for her appointment - not a great way to start a relationship. And her clothes were in a basket (I require them to come in on hangers.). And she had spring/summer items (I'm taking winter.). She had about 40 items (my limit is 30 at a time).


And she began the conversation by saying that she was in a time-crunch and could I go through her stuff right away?


My first thought, of course, was "Wait a minute, lady. Whose store is this?" I mean I was about to blow. But for some strange reason, I didn't say what I was thinking (quite unusual for me).




And before I knew it, she explained her current situation. Going through a terrible divorce. Having some real difficulties with her kids. There will likely be custody problems. Getting 'grief' from her mother over both situations. She's not a happy woman . . . and I'm going to give her more unhappiness and lecture her about my rules?


I immediately changed inside my head. I felt so badly for her. It seemed like it was all she could do to not break down while she talked to me. Suddenly, I didn't care about my policies. I felt grateful that I could help her if only in a small way.


And all I could think of was the old saying about "walk a mile in my shoes." And I felt humbled and so fortunate that I wasn't in hers.

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 11:33:00 AM EST, Blogger Angie Weid said…

    Good job Sandy! Being in your consignor's divorce shoes myself, I can say sometimes you just need to unload your life onto a stranger. She probably was close to the brink of losing it.

    Perhaps she got into her car and the flood gate of tears/screams opened up. Then again, she could have got to her car with relief know someone else knows what she is going through. Either way, you made a positive difference

     

Post a Comment

<< Home