Sandy's Stuff for Women

I own a woman's clothing and accessories store in Toledo, OH. We have 3300 sq. ft. of both new and resale items. We specialize in maternity items (the largest selection in the area) and women's size clothing (the largest selection in a resale shop in the area. RESALE ROCKS!

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Networking 101 in traffic


I spent 15 (yes, 15) hours Friday (6am to 9 pm) with three good friends. Oh, what fun we had. We drove to Chicago to attend a wholesale jewelry & accessories show. On the way back, we took the Skyway, thinking it would be quicker than our normal route. Boy, were we wrong.


There's is MAJOR construction on the Skyway which of course we didn't know about. It took us 2-1/2 hours to get from O'Hare Airport area to the Indiana state line. But there wasn't a dull moment.

I know all of these women because of my consignment store:

Kate, who is a shopaholic, wandered into my first store almost 10 years ago and we became friends quickly. She makes her own jewelry (exotic, one-of-a-kind, not the simple bead stuff). She goes to the show to buy high-end fine jewelry for herself and to buy beads and other findings for her business.

Betty owns a wonderful consignment store in Perrysburg and we've been good friends for at least 6 years (see a previous post about how unusual - and delightful - it is to have a competitor for a friend). She goes to the show primarily to buy designer fragrances and gifts for friends.

Sandee and her sisters used to own consignment stores and I met her through Betty. She goes to the show to buy for herself and her friends and large family.

We all are talkers - and laughers. Oh, how we laughed - quick wits and funny stories (no jokes, just true stuff that's happened to us) abounded.

None of these women belong to any of the formal networking organizations that I do. (Of course, any group is an informal network.) I was asked why networking has worked so well for me. Why do I belong to so many (4 at last count) and why does it help my business?














My answer was about the value of developing relationships and the concept of "Givers Gain." How you just give and give and give and you are bound at some point to benefit.

The example I gave was a woman who is producing a maternity project in September. I met with her (she indeed was wondering, "Why in the world does this stranger want to take me to lunch?"), found out what she needed, and subsequently sent out e-mails to over 350 people who might be able to help her, offered to help financially support her project, took her to a networking event and introduced her to people who also have committed to help her on the day of the project.

So one of my friends asked if she's been to my store yet. I said, "Not yet. And she might never. But she'll remember how I helped her. She knows that I'm someone who walks the walk and the talk."

I think it was hard for my friends to understand this concept. How I 'gave' but didn't yet 'get.'




How could I explain this better to people who are not networkers in the traditional business sense?

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, July 30, 2007 at 9:16:00 PM EDT, Blogger Debby said…

    I think the best way might be to say, "What goes around, comes around.....eventually." But of course, being able to say what you need will help it to come around more quickly.

    Sounds like a barrel of fun. As you know Sandy, when I drive, I get quiet. Don't know why, just do. But it would have been fun to listen.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 10:30:00 AM EDT, Blogger Lisa Litalien said…

    To answer the question for those who have not been in a networking group or taken a course on networking and don’t understand the concepts.......I would say

    You're right she may never need the use of my services, but think of all the people she comes in contact with on a daily basis. During conversations I'm certain that she’ll run across a person that will need what I have to offer and refer them to me in the future.

    Again we know about "Givers Gain"

    Sandy have fun in California!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home